Chernihiv, Ukraine

In Ukraine, every city is a tourist Mecca. So Chernihiv is no exception. This city from folk tales, immersed in greenery in summer, was the second after Kyiv in Rus’. And today the European spirit hovers here, despite the abundance of domes and crosses. See Bridgat for climate and weather information of Ukraine.

Cafes and restaurants in Chernihiv

Traditions are honored in Chernihiv, and here you will find worthy national cuisine — dumplings with the most unthinkable fillings, pork legs with mushrooms, borscht with croutons and lard… There are hundreds of places to choose from.

Chernihiv borscht and dumplings with the most unthinkable stuffing – you can’t leave Chernihiv without tasting them!

Entertainment and attractions of Chernihiv

Any guidebook will tell you: acquaintance with the city should begin with Val – the former Chernihiv citadel, the ancient princely court. It is the spiritual and administrative center of the city. It is here that the largest number of historical buildings and museums are concentrated.

Spassky Cathedral

The Cathedral of the Savior is the oldest surviving cathedral in Rus’. It was founded in the 11th century by the first prince of Chernigov known by name, Mstislav the Brave, the son of the baptist of Rus’ Vladimir Svyatoslavich. Since 1967, the Cathedral of the Savior has been part of the National Architectural and Historical Reserve “Old Chernihiv”.

Borisoglebsky Cathedral

Borisoglebsky Cathedral was erected around 1123, dedicated to the heavenly patrons of the Yaroslavich family and was conceived as an honorary tomb. The temple stands just tens of meters from the Spassky Cathedral. Initially, there were palace buildings between them, of which nothing remains, except for the archaeological foundation. During its existence, the Borisoglebsky Cathedral was repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt. Today it is a museum, concerts of sacred music are held here and two exhibitions are constantly working – “The fresco of Chernigov temples” and “Architecture and craft of Chernigov of the 11th-13th centuries.”

Chernihiv Spassky Cathedral is the oldest surviving in Rus’. It was built in the 11th century by Prince Mstislav the Brave, son of Vladimir Yasnoye Solnyshko.

Catherine’s Church

This church of extraordinary beauty is located on a high promontory and is separated from Val by a ravine. It is considered a hallmark of Chernigov, although it was built much later than Spassky and Borisoglebsky – in the 18th century, on the remains of a medium-sized temple from the times of Kievan Rus. Now in the church you can see an exhibition of folk and decorative Ukrainian art.

The Red Square

Yes, yes, Chernigov also has its own square, and it is also red. From the beginning of the 19th century to the present day it has been the administrative and cultural center of the city. You can get to the square from the Catherine’s Church along the Alley of Heroes decorated with fountains. Previously, this place was called Pyatnitsky field. The name comes from the nearby church of St. Paraskeva Pyatnitsa, built at the end of the 12th century.

Eletsky and Trinity-Ilyinsky monasteries

The emergence of both monasteries is associated with the name of St. Anthony of the Caves. In ancient Russian times they were outside the city. The Yelets Monastery, located closer to the center, includes the Assumption Cathedral, built in the 12th century, a bell tower, a cell, the Peter and Paul Church and a stone fence. Also on the territory there is still the only wooden building of the Cossack time – the house of Theodosius Uglitsky (late 17th century). The well-known dungeons of the monastery did not appear before the 18th century. Nearby are several more historical buildings: the prison castle, built in 1803-1806, and the two-story building of the former men’s school. Here, opposite the monastery fence, a huge earthen embankment rises. This is one of the most famous ancient Russian pagan burial mounds – the Black Grave. According to legend, Prince Cherny, the founder of Chernigov, is buried under it. Although the excavations proved that the barrow was built already in the 10th century, when Chernihiv already existed.

The Trinity-Ilyinsky Monastery is located on Boldina Hill (the name comes from the old Russian “bold” – oak). Historians do not exclude that in pre-Christian times there was a temple of the Slavic god Perun on the mountain. At first, the monastery was a cave monastery, then the single-domed Elias Church was erected here, which has survived to this day in a rebuilt form. Next to it is the entrance to the famous Anthony Caves – they are open to tourists. At the end of the 17th century, a grandiose architectural complex headed by the Trinity Cathedral, consecrated in 1695, began to be erected on a spacious site on the western side of the Elias Church. He gave the present name to the monastery.

Museums of Chernihiv

For lovers of historical treasures under glass, seasoned with the stories of a guide, there are several good-quality museums in Chernihiv at once. This is the historical name of Tarnovsky, and the military, and the artistic name of Galagan, and the literary name of Kotsiubinsky.

Chernihiv, Ukraine